Thursday, March 22, 2007

Sean and Calculators

[00:36] sean: hey I got a question for you that maybe you could figure out
[00:36] me: hmmm>?
[00:36] sean: did you take 232?
[00:36] sean: well regardless
[00:37] sean: so I know assembly for a few various CPU's including the z80 which is what's used in the ti-83 series (I know it's nerdy but whatever)
[00:38] sean: and I noticed my headset for my phone was a the same size jack as the one on my calc (2.5mm) so I wrote myself a nifty little recording program on my 83+
[00:38] sean: you press record, it records a couple seconds (it only has so much free RAM) and then you can play it back
[00:39] sean: the problem is, you have to make very loud tones into the mic to pick up anything
[00:40] sean: I figure it's probably just an issue between picking up a digital signal when I'm trying to send an analog one but I was thinking maybe if I hooked up this little 9v pre-amp thing I've got I could get a bit better quality
[00:40] sean: the question is, how bad do you think it is to hook up a 9v battery to my calc?
[00:40] sean: haha
[00:41] sean: long story short question
[00:41] me: I think this is like hooking up a car battery to a lawn mower
[00:41] me: a great idea
[00:42] me: (I actually don't know, but if you're not sending charge over anything you could try)
[00:42] me: do you have a bunch of adapters for it?
[00:42] me: and wait, why are you trying to record on to your calculator again?